Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Rough Week

Sunday Luke noticed a red, swollen spot on his arm. By the end of the day it was traveling up his arm and was swelling more. He also was feeling horrible and worse by the minute. Thankfully we were with my parents so they took the boys and I took Luke to the E.R. (Where are the 24-hour Urgent Cares' anymore?!?!) They said it was cellulitis, a skin infection that had gotten to his bloodstream. The infection caused all of his symptoms: fever, body aches and stomach cramps. It made him feel weak and nauseated. They treated the spot and gave him antibiotics. We got to the E.R. Sunday night at 10pm and got home at 3am! He was unable to go to work on Monday and we were scheduled to leave for Delaware Tuesday afternoon. So, having to miss more work than already planned and getting sick before Landen's surgery was really disappointing! However, God knew this would happen and allowed it to happen so we must trust His plan and not our own! Although it's a lot easier to say than do!

Luke has had a slow recovery but we left Tuesday about 12:30pm to go to Delaware. Angel Flights did not work out this time due to inclement weather. We had a good trip and arrived at the Ronald McDonald House at 7:30pm. My mom, dad, sister, nephew, Luke's mom and dad and sister all got there a little after we did. We all talked for a bit and then got some rest. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30am Wednesday, the 27th. We met a little early and Luke led us in devotions sharing some encouraging scriptures that have really helped us through this. He, my dad and his dad all led us in a time of prayer in the hospital lobby. We then went to Surgical Services and got checked in. We met with the nurses and doctors and they took him back about 9am. Very shortly after we got settled in the waiting room, I was called back. Luke had just left to get us a bite to eat. I was so scared because they shouldn't have been calling me back there. The man didn't say anything either so I was terrified! We went through one door and when the second door was opened I was so relieved to see Landen being held by a nurse! I was so shocked and everything happened so fast I wasn't really sure what was going on.

Landen had a cold last week but we had the go-ahead from the doctors to move forward with the surgery. However, when they attempted anesthesia, Landen began gasping. Breathing became very difficult for him because of his tiny airways in addition to the congestion. Mucus started coming up. His congestion was much worse than any of us thought. As soon as that happened the doctor and nurses stopped everything. That's when they came and got me! It was decided that it was just too dangerous for him to have anesthesia with the present congestion. I am so thankful that God was with Landen and that He gave the doctor and nurses wisdom to respond to the danger.

I gave Landen a bottle and got him settled. (He wasn't able to eat that morning.) A nurse walked me out and by that time Luke was walking up. I was pretty upset so the nurse explained to Luke what happened and then the surgeon came out and talked to us. He was very encouraging and felt our frustrations but we all agreed this was for the best no doubt!

Landen's surgery was rescheduled for November 16th. We know so many people were praying for us even people we don't know! I can't tell you how much that means to us. We know God is in control and He is working His perfect plan! Please keep us in your prayers!

No comments: