When Luke arrived at the Children's ER Landen began to vomit. They immediately took him back. Landen was very pale and lifeless. His body temperature was low and his oxygen was low. As soon as I left the school, my Dad and I headed to Wake Med. At this point we had no idea how bad off Landen was. He dropped me off at the door and my Mom walked me back to where he was. I could not believe what I saw. Eight doctors and nurses and Luke were surrounding Landen. They all were working on him and saying things I didn't understand. A nurse came to me and said Landen was a very sick little boy and they weren't sure what was going on but she assured me he'd be okay. Right away they began checking his heart and his lungs. IV fluids,antibiotics and oxygen were started but most importantly prayers chains were started. It was at this point that Landen miraculously started improving. He started moving around and talking! The doctors and nurses were speechless!! They said in the condition he arrived in there was no way he should have been improving like he did! They were about to admit him into ICU when the doctor noticed blood in his stool. They took him back for an ultrasound to check for a bowel obstruction. There wasn't any and Landen continued to improve. They admitted us to a regular room for observation. We stayed until Thursday afternoon. Many different test were ran but thankfully all are normal. There is no explanation for what happened. Which is hard, we'd like to know what caused him to respond the way he did. However, the doctors checked everything possible. We can accept not having an answer but if there is an answer of course, we'd like to know! We wonder if it will happen again or if it can be prevented?!?
While at the hospital we, along with our doctor kept in touch with Landen's doctor in Delaware. Another concern came up was Landen's blood pressure. The top number stayed high during his entire stay. His kidneys were checked before we came home and looked fine. There is no explanation for this as well. It possibly could have been everything he had been through caused it to raise but we're not sure. We had his blood pressure checked a few days after coming home and it had come down but was still a little high.
There are a couple of speculations from different doctors as to what happened. Landen's white blood count was high so he definitely had some kind of infection going on. One speculation is that he had a virus and possibly got choked on his vomit. He would certainly be at a higher risk for that happening because of his extremely small airways. Another speculation is dehydration. Landen spent some time in front of a gas fire place Monday night. He was fascinated by it so he just watched it for a long time. It's possible the heat from the fire place caused him to dehydrate. He would be at a higher risk for this as well because he is so little. It very possibly could have been either one of these speculations or even a combination of the two, or even something completely different. We may never know.
I do know we witnessed a miracle on Tuesday, December 13th. I am thankful beyond what words can describe that the Lord touched Landen's little body and made him well!! Praise the Lord!
We originally were supposed to go back to Delaware sometime in March or April but considering what happened they want to see us a little earlier. We are scheduled to have appointments on February 17th. Also, I just want to say that WakeMed is wonderful!! We had a really good doctor and great nurses but we did have one special nurse that was our favorite! Her name is Emily! ;) We appreciate everything they did to make things as easy as possible.
I apologize if this seems jumbled. I can't even begin to describe the feelings we experienced that day. It can be difficult to bring everything to mind and communicate it clearly as I'm sure you can understand. Landen has been doing really well since he got out of the hospital! You wouldn't even know he was so sick. Please continue to pray for him and us though. Through this we were reminded of all the uncertainty involved with Landen's health. However, we also were reminded that God is faithful! Looking back we see His hand through it all! I am reminded of this song:
I don't know about tomorrow; I just live from day to day. I don't borrow from its sunshine for its skies may turn to grey. I don't worry o'er the future, For I know what Jesus said. And today I'll walk beside Him, For He knows what is ahead. Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand But I know who holds tomorrow And I know who holds my hand. Every step is getting brighter As the golden stairs I climb; Every burden's getting lighter, Every cloud is silver-lined. There the sun is always shining, There no tear will dim the eye; At the ending of the rainbow Where the mountains touch the sky. Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand But I know who holds tomorrow And I know who holds my hand. I don't know about tomorrow; It may bring me poverty. But the one who feeds the sparrow, Is the one who stands by me. And the path that is my portion May be through the flame or flood; But His presence goes before me And I'm covered with His blood. Many things about tomorrow I don't seem to understand But I know who holds tomorrow And I know who holds my hand...
Because He knows what is ahead and it's all part of His perfect plan, even though I may not understand, I CAN TRUST HIM!
*Thank you to those who came to visit, called us or sent us messages, provided meals and most importantly to those who were aware of what happened and prayed!!





2 comments:
A day we will remember for ever for sure!! God is so good and I'm thankful for the power of prayer!! Love my lil man!!!! :)
He loves you too! So thankful for answered prayers!
Post a Comment