Not even 10 minutes after I typed the last post about feeling overwhelmed I read this email from the 15-day Clutter Free Challenge I mentioned I was doing. It was such an encouragement to me and I wanted to share it because I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. I hope it is as much of an encouragement to you as it was to me!
"Keeping a home de-cluttered and organized is an ongoing challenge.
Life keeps changing. What worked last month, might not work this
month. And just when you think you’ve got this de-cluttering thing
conquered, something will happen to you (or me) to make us feel like
giving up and accepting clutter. What we’ll need in that moment is
perspective. Imagine this …
You’ve just cleaned up the kitchen and family room and sat back with a
Diet Coke to relax for a minute, when along comes a high school
wrestler who will dump his stinky shoes and sweaty shirt on the
counter. Not long after that, backpacks will get dropped in a line from
the door to where you are sitting. Papers will be tossed on the dining
room table. Later, a tall handsome man walks in, kicks off his shoes,
drops a briefcase on the floor, and sets a notebook and travel mug next
to the shoes. And five people will ask you what’s for dinner within a
15-minute time span. Four will come back to ask if they can have a
snack.
And you will look at the mess, and sigh. And it’s right here, right at this point, you have a choice.
Hopefully … just maybe … with God’s strength and wisdom … you will
pause before attempting to make everyone feel guilty for unloading all
their stuff and messing up your hard work. And in that pause, before
unkind thoughts can take root, or angry words can be spoken, God’s
Spirit will give you a “hug” and remind you that life is messy. Really.
Messy. And people are more important than clean counters. And this
won’t last forever. And LOTS of people would give just about anything to
have someone they love walk in the door and drop their stuff.
Then, after you’ve thanked God for stopping your gut reaction and giving you perspective,
you will get up and hug that wrestler and tell him you are SO HAPPY he
is home. You will kiss those little backpack-wearers on the forehead.
You will cut up an apple and wash some grapes. You will kiss your
husband and put his travel mug in the dishwasher. And realize that this
is much more important than having a perfect home.
Oh how perspective has saved me from doing and saying so many
regrettable things. You see, our highest calling is to love God and
love others. Yes managing our homes and schedules is important.
Obviously I believe that strongly. But maintaining a heart of love
should always supersede our desire for a clutter-free home. So when the
interruptions come (and they will) … and when someone messes with your
plans (and they will) … remember to keep perspective. Keep first things
first. And Jesus’ commands always come first."
I LOVE how God gives us exactly what we need at the exact time we need it! Someone once told us this was called a God wink! ;)
1 comment:
Amanda,
Thank you for posting this! You are such an inspiration and encouragement to me to be a better Christian wife and mommy. Can you email me a link to the 15 day challenge you are doing? After moving, I think that this is just what I need! God bless you and your precious family.
~Stephanie Horton
jshorton86@gmail.com
Post a Comment