Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Peek Into Our Week

 You just never know what a week will hold! On Monday, the boys and I along with my parents met my sister and her family in Greenville just to visit with each other. Landen had been napping in the car and after he woke up he was a little fussy and still acted tired. We were on the way to Chick-fil-A for a snack when he vomitted out of the blue. We got him cleaned up but noticed he was a little blue around his mouth. It was really cold outside so we took him in to see how he was. He became very lethargic and limp. His eyes began rolling around as if he were about to pass out. He was acting exactly like he did a month ago when we took him to Wake Med. He wasn't getting any better so we took him to Pitt Memorial Hospital. He didn't seem as bad this time as the first time however it was still extremely frightful! He got checked out in triage and then we waited for a while. He would start acting better for a few minutes and then he would get sick again and repeat the same symptoms. We eventually got called back. After the ER doctors examined him they decided to admit him after discovering he was dehydrated as well as the need for pediatric doctors. He began receiving fluids through the night. On Tuesday he started acting a little better but not a lot. He continued to receive IV fluids and that night he started acting like he felt better. He remained on the fluids that night until he took his own IV out sometime while he was sleeping during the night! Wednesday morning the doctors determined that Landen  had a vasovagal response. An example of this would be when someone passes out after seeing blood. It appears he is afraid to vomit so he holds his breath causing his heart rate to increase which causes his nervous system to respond with those symptoms. So, in summary Landen had a virus with a vasovagal response and was dehydrated. He is at a very high risk of dehydrating really quickly! Thankfully, by Wednesday he was feeling much better. However, Brayden and I got the stomach flu while being at the hospital! :( We were able to come home Wednesday afternoon. We were so glad to get home!! Poor Luke had to take care of all of us!! He was a GREAT doctor though! We slept the rest of Wednesday away and Thursday we still weren't feeling good so that was a sick day and Friday was a recovery day when we finally started feeling better!

I was thankful to be feeling better because we had planned to go hear the Taylors in concert for the first time Saturday night at a church in Garner. I've been wanting to hear them for a while! I'm so glad it worked out! They were great! They have a powerful testimony and beautiful harmony.

Needless to say it was an extremely tough week. We continue to trust God's perfect plan although we certainly don't understand! I was really touched by a Proverbs 31 facebook post shortly after coming home from the hospital: "Although God doesn't always give us understanding of our circumstances, He does promise peace in the midst of not understanding." Phil 4:6-7 A Confident Heart by Renee Swope. I'm so thankful we don't have to understand in order to TRUST! God has been so good to us and our situation could be a lot worse. I'm so thankful for my amazing husband and incredible family. Aside from the Lord I could not have gotten through this without them!

2 comments:

Heather Huff said...

SO glad my lil guy is feeling better!! Love him sooooo much!! Can't believe he will be 2 tomorrow!! Where does time go?!?!

The Johnsons said...

I don't know but I wish it would slow down!!! Love ya!