Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Transplant - Day Twenty-nine (+12)

Landen has officially engrafted! We are so excited and so thankful! His ANC was over 3000 and his WBC was 4.2 today! His new immune system is starting to make platelets, which are usually the last cells to recover. He did not need any blood transfusions today. It was a rough day for him again but he is feeling better tonight! He's still mainly weak and tired but he did experience some nausea and he got sick once after trying to eat a little lunch. He also started having diarrhea last night until mid-day today. Thankfully, that has improved. They did run some test to be sure he doesn't have an infection. They put Landen on precautions today just in case until they know for sure. All that means is that the doctors and nurses have to wear a gown and gloves, only Landen can use the toilet in his room, and everyone should wash their hands even more. Also, at this point Landen would normally be able to leave the room with a mask but he can't until they know for sure what's going on. The nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea are all expected side effects but could be caused by several reasons and at different times. It could be from the chemo, his body getting adjusted to the new cells, or medicines he's on now. Dr. Huo explained today that Landen's body is making blood which is practically like making an organ and it is very hard work! Landen is so tough and we are so proud of him! We are praying better days are around the corner. He has good moments but for the most part he's not had a good day in a while. Thankfully, he is feeling better tonight and has ate and drank some! On Monday he tried taking a pill for the very first time. I'm not sure what happened but I think he ended up chewing it and then vomited immediately. Yesterday we cut it up and he got it down successfully but again he threw up immediately. Today it was cut up and he got it down and it stayed down! Thank the Lord!! Over the next several days we are hoping Landen will gradually start eating and drinking more and he needs to switch his medicines from IV medicines to oral medicines.

Today was the first time we all were together just as a family in about a month! It was so nice!! I decided a day or so ago that I would plan to come home tonight and take the kids to church. It was hard leaving Landen but I knew I was finally ready and I really needed the break. We got back to Lincolnton just in time for church. I can't explain how good it was to be there. I can already tell coming home and taking a break has helped so much! Today makes 4 weeks in the hospital and 4 weeks since I've been home. Luke and Landen are having a guys night. I know they are having a great time and I am really enjoying my time with Brayden and Hannah Grace. I have missed them so much!!

He did play with Brayden for a little while today


Night nurses


Guys Night!


No comments: