Thursday, February 17, 2011

God Is Our Strength (Update on Luke)

So I thought I'd give an update on Luke. The colonoscopy went well. He is glad to have that over with! Unfortunately we didn't get the answer we wanted. The doctor said it still looks like Luke has ulcerative colitis (UC for short). The inflammation affects the entire colon. We have to wait about 3 weeks for the results to come back. The results will confirm UC and guide the doctor in deciding the best treatment plan for Luke. For now he is taking a steroid for a short time to help heal the colon and another medicine to help prevent flare-ups like he is in now. Basically the period of time where Luke was doing so good would be considered remission, where there are no symptoms of the disease. Since Luke had an allergic reaction to his last form of treatment he has not had any medicine for his UC. However, he has continued to see the chiropractor which did seem to help. It is common after stopping a treatment to have a relapse within a year. We are supposing that is what has happened. We are thankful Luke is starting to feel better. Please pray he will continue to get better. Pray for wisdom and discernment for us and the Doctor as we decide on a treatment plan and that we will continue to trust God even when things don't make sense. It does get hard and we do ask why. I was thankful for the reminder at church last night through the life of Habakkuk. Our joy comes from the Lord, not our circumstances!

I was encouraged by my study bible notes at the end of Habakkuk and I want to share it with you:
"Knowing that the land faced devastation, Habakkuk set his mind on God rather than circumstances. He told himself, I choose to be patient; I choose to rejoice--even when (not if) disaster comes. With this perspective on life, he could confidently say that God was his strength.

Sometimes faith requires that we make a hard choice that contradicts what we can see. When the circumstances of your life look bad, remind yourself that God is in control. Like Habakkuk, you can choose to trust God. By making the choice to trust, you too can discover that God is your strength."

No comments: