Sunday, June 18, 2017

Transplant - Day Twenty-six (+9)

Luke went home last night for the first time since we came to the hospital. It was really hard not being together but he's back tonight! We are very fortunate and thankful that we've been able to both be at the hospital with Landen. It would be so much harder than it is if we couldn't be together. He preached this morning and we were able to watch live on Facebook. What a blessing! We miss being at Highland Drive so much but it really helps to be able to tune in each week. It's the next best thing! I can't imagine how difficult it was for him to preach this morning but God prepared him and used him! He did a great job! I've been reminded of how great a husband and dad he is through all of this! I'm so thankful for the man that he is and how he points us to Christ daily. It's been amazing to see him in action during our circumstances. In the good times and bad times he stays strong and positive! I'm so thankful God put us together!!

When I woke up this morning the first thing I noticed was hair everywhere...on the sheets, on the pillow, on my shirt, and on Landen's shirt. It was a big difference from yesterday's discovery. I looked at Landen and I could definitely tell it was thinning. He slept a little longer and the next time I checked on him I noticed bald spots on the very top of his head. I was shocked. I wasn't expecting it to happen this quick. I had been told it typically happens gradually over about a week. This was the second day. He slept really late today....probably until 12:30 or so. Each time I checked on him there was a noticeable difference. Once he woke up and got going he played for a little while and I just watched it gradually get worse. Hair was everywhere! The top of his head looked patchy. Luke called after church when he was on the way to the hospital. We talked about it and decided to go ahead and shave it. It will be easier than watching his hair fall out and finding his hair everywhere.



My parents were still here today so it was nice to spend Father's Day with my daddy. Luke and I took him out to eat while my mom stayed with Landen. We are so thankful for all of their support during this time. It means so much!!


Mr. Tim, Mrs. Monica, and Alyssa came tonight. Mrs. Monica is our wonderful hairdresser and she kindly agreed to come and shave Landen's hair. They are a huge blessing to us and we enjoyed their visit. They really made a difficult thing much easier!


Thankfully, Landen had a pretty good day! He did sleep really late but he acted like he felt good most of the day! He has been fever free for two days now and the blood cultures they did are negative. We are so thankful for this and we just pray he continues to recover and feel better. His WBC increased just a little from 0.2 to 0.4. It's not much but it's SOMETHING and we are so grateful!! Landen had a new nurse today and it was so nice to meet her and spend the day with her. Rachel is great!!


Here is his new look!



He is so handsome!! At first it didn't seem to bother him but a little while later he got upset about it. He started crying and said he didn't like loosing his hair and taking medicine. We talked him through it and in no time he was smiling again. We showed him his hats and bandana's and read him the comments from his friends on Facebook. It didn't take long and he was good with it! I will admit, it was much harder than I expected it to be. Nothing can prepare you to watch your child's hair fall out and then try to be strong for them as you try to comfort them. But by God's grace we are persevering and we KNOW that the Lord is carrying us through this time! We give Him all praise for all He has done and we are trusting Him to continue to do great things! He is faithful!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Continuing to pray for Landen. I can't imagine what you must be going through. But what grace and strength He has shown through you all. I am a friend of your Mom, Luke and have been praying a long time. Hugs!