Saturday, July 8, 2017

Transplant - Day Forty-six (+29)

Today is the first day Landen has not seen a doctor since May 24th! It's a little scary to be on our own now. Thankfully, the team has assured us they are just a phone call away but it's not the same as having a nurse available at the push of a button! Landen has had a really good day! His biggest issue right now is a lot of pain when using the bathroom. It breaks my heart! Evenings are rough for him. He's still weak and gets tired easily. Before going in the hospital Landen was a climber! Today he tried to climb on the counter for the first time. After his first attempt he said "why can't I climb anymore?" I reminded him how weak he still is because of all he has been through. But he didn't give up! He tried again and did it! He never ceases to amaze me! He is something else! I'm so thankful for the God-given strength and personality he has. He got up to play today which is extremely rare right now. He only lasted about five minutes but it's a start! I'm hoping when Brayden and Hannah Grace join us that will give him more motivation. We miss Brayden and Hannah Grace so much! They are with Heather and Jonathan. Unfortunately, they got sick with colds and can't be around Landen right now. We are hoping their symptoms clear up fast so we can finally all be together again. Having to be separated is one of the hardest parts of this process. They have done great though. We couldn't be more proud of them! The Lord has certainly answered prayers for them to handle this in the best way possible.

We are still getting used to being out of the hospital. We're getting Landen's schedule of medicines and fluids figured out. We're also trying to figure out routines between clinic and trips back to Lincolnton for church. We'd like life to be as "normal" as possible and just make the most of the situation we're in. The RMH is really nice but it's not home. We're trying our best to have the right perspective and to hang on! We won't be here forever...this is just a season. I really want to grow and learn all that God has for me during this time. We know that God has a plan and a purpose for our circumstances and I don't want to get in His way. Luke and I talked a few times while we were in the hospital how we wanted to fulfill God's purpose for our time there but a lot of times it felt like that was impossible. Things were extremely busy the entire time and we certainly had our down moments when we weren't at our best. With all that we wondered how God could use us. I also question my blog and sharing our story with the world. It's really hard to put yourself out there like that. The morning we left the hospital I was praying about it all and just asked God to show me what to do. Shortly after that prayer the Lord used our nurse to encourage us so much! She told us that she really appreciated how we were vocal about our faith and how it was guiding us through this process. She said there was a distinct difference between how we handled things compared to the way other families handled it all. She also said she felt like it was a needed example for all of the nurses to see. Luke and I were so touched by her encouragement. We were reminded that if we are obedient to God He is the One who does the work. All we have to do is be available and obedient. We have had the opportunity to meet so many families which is such a blessing. It really helps to know we're not alone...that was one thing that helped me get through July 4th. It was really hard to think about how differently that day should've been but then I reminded myself how I was surrounded with families in the same situation. It has already helped at the RMH too because it is so easy to get discouraged. One thing I am learning in this journey is how important our perspective is. It really makes all the difference! The Lord gave me the encouragement I needed today through a message by Chip Ingram. He was talking about how we have no control over our circumstances but we do have control of our perspective. The choice we make about our perspective determines our experience. One day all of this will be a memory (I can't wait) but I don't want to miss what God has for us during this time. I want to come out on the other side of this stronger!

No comments: